Saturday 25 February 2012

Need for speed?

You know you've become a Formula 1 fan when you start listening to engine sounds on repeat instead of your music collection and start thinking of life in terms of F1 glossary. 

If I hadn't come to Australia, I am not sure I would be following the Formula 1 racing event like I am right now. I would probably just be playing football(soccer) like I did when I was in Singapore. My real life experience with F1 cars is during my stay in Singapore. It is such a lovely place which boasts the dynamic atmosphere which I really love. In 2009, I was lucky enough to be at the first ever night race in Singapore. Prior to that, I only have a little exposure about formula 1 races but my curiosity kept me informed enough about the drivers such as Michael Schumacher and others. The event at 2009 cemented my interest in car racing but it's only after arriving to Australia that I started following the event properly.

What got me interested in the F1 racing is the unique combination of man and machine. The races are as much about engineering innovation as the skill and determination of the driver. Fitness is one of the main factors too. And nothing is comparable to see the cars past by as the sound of the engines roar into your ears. It's massive and majestic.

Being a student of Public Relations course, I have come to see the Formula 1 racing event in different light. Formula 1 racing is a prestigious sport with long history as far as 1950s. This isn't a sport like any other. It involves car manufacturers, plenty of sponsors and it generates millions of dollars every year. So it's fair to assume that there are many public relation aspects involved.

The races are all year round in different countries. Currently, the 2012 season hasn't started yet but teams are in a build up phase. By this time, plenty of teams have come up with new cars for this season and are testing them on the circuit. The build up is a phase for public relations campaign. Teams such as Red Bull, Mercedes and Ferrari use mainstream media and social media extensively for the promotion of their brand and the upcoming races.

I have been following several teams and noticed how much social media is involved in promotion of this sport. The event is gaining younger fans in social media atmosphere. Plenty of drivers are on social media sites and fans are informed of the progress on a daily basis to anticipate for the new season.

As the season progress, I will get to explore more about Public relations in a Formula 1 races and I couldn't be more excited about it. Here's an example of Formula 1 PR campaign.

2 comments:

  1. This is really cool James :) I'm not a big fan of cars, in fact I change the channel any time a race is on because I fear I may fall asleep (I am a girl after all!), but it's really interesting to take a step back and think about all the factors it takes to promote & put something that huge together.

    Probably the dream PR job for someone who is interested in the sport!

    Have you ever driven a racing car?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great insight James and can see that you are pretty stoked about F1. Personally, I have been to two GP's and shuddered at the power the cars generate, quite awesome.

    ReplyDelete